This year brought new jobs, a new city, a new state, and plenty of new experiences. I’m still in awe of how much can happen in just a year, and I’m so blessed for everything happening in my life right now. 2014 will bring plenty of big moves, so stay tuned! Here’s what I’ve learned along the way:
13 Lessons Learned in 2013
1. Forgive others not because they deserve to be forgiven, but because you deserve peace.
2. Don’t leave anything visible in your car. No matter where you are. Period. It could be Beverly Hills. A bitch will break your car window for a half-eaten McChicken and ABBA’s Greatest Hits.
3. When the “mountain is out” in Seattle, you do everything you can to savor the “sun breaks.”
4. The weather in Seattle is not an excuse for bad style. In fact, it gives you more opportunities for a fierce coat, pair of boots, or hat. As you can imagine, my SF wardrobe was made for Seattle.
5. Most Seattlites may poke fun of your umbrella, but most Seattlites don’t have this hair. I don’t spend this much on hairspray for it to be flat.
6. Sometimes your best is just isn’t good enough. (Some of you know exactly what this is about!).
7. On that note, stop trying so hard.
8. True love can show itself in unexpected ways. Like letting all your skeletons out of the closet, or allowing distance to make the heart grow fonder.
9. Snail mail is dead. Time to rethink that rubber stamp and stationary addiction. People have apparently forgotten where the post office is.
10. Even though you’re out of sight, true friends will never keep you out of mind. Life is too short to put your energy into friends that don’t give you the same energy in return. Distance is no excuse.
11. Moving to a new city consequently makes you vulnerable. It forces you to be OK with being alone and to tap into those social skills you once had. This will be a prime focus in 2014.
12. Your body at almost 30 cannot handle spicy food like it did when you were almost 20. Same goes for booze. Eff.
13. You have to risk big to win big. I know I say this a lot, but this year it paid off.
Wishing you all a fulfilling and blessed New Year, friends! Don’t forget to laugh, dance, and travel.
Stay fabulous, stay conVINCEd.